To help all individuals acquire the means for full and equitable participation in society by developing, evaluating, and disseminating effective literacy instructional and assessment practices.
To be a leading producer of respected literacy research and a trusted source of effective literacy practices.
- Provide the highest quality information and resources available
- Value and support others in achieving the common goals
- Act with integrity in carrying out all work
- Hold personal accountability for actions and results
- Build trust by focusing on what is best for clients and honoring commitments to them
- Seek solutions for local community, state, and national stakeholders
A Reading 360 Initiative
The center originally was funded by the Tennessee Department of Education for the purpose of evaluating and independently analyzing the effects of the Reading 360 initiatives on teacher and district use of high-quality instructional materials, teachers’ literacy instruction, students’ literacy skills and standards-based achievement, and Education Preparation Providers’ preparation of teacher candidates to teach literacy.
Varied Practice Reading
VPR is an Innovation and Development grant funded by the Institute of Education Sciences. It focuses on creating and iteratively testing a Tier 2 literacy intervention for students in Grades 6-8 who are not reading proficiently. The overall aim of the intervention is to improve student literacy as well as science and social studies performance.